Saturday, February 11, 2012

I'm not the only one listening to Whitney Houston songs tonight, right ?

Current Mood : Wistful



Can't help but feel a little sad about Whitney Houston's passing. I mean, heck, she was part of my youth, talented and beautiful, maybe a punchline in her later years (heck, aren't we all ?), but still part of my own history, even though I never went to a concert of hers, and only bought the one cassette tape, Whitney. I'm always surprised when I learn celebrities' ages - to me, she was an adult when I was a teenager, and come to find out, she's only three years older than me. It's a shame she had so many issues, especially when those are stacked next to her amazing voice. Maybe she has the peace she's longed for. I hope we all will gain it someday.


Not a lot else going on. We were all set to journey to Hobby Lobby this evening after Beloved Hubby came home, since they're never open on Sundays (they're actually a religious store, but you probably already know that). There's one place I know where there's a HLobby and a Chick-fil-A on the same plot of land, and it really is deserted on Sundays. Anyway. Aside from just general diggin' through the Clearance section and drifting through the aisles, I mostly wanted to go to choose a paint for Cupid's lip repainting. When I told Beloved that most doll artists use acrylics, he told me to sit for a bit, then came back with a huge open tote of paints ! Turns out, they were from Aunt and MIL's days of ceramic and tole painting, and they'd been sitting around waiting for a while.


After making dinner - and no, we never left for HLobby ! - I dug in. Found and shook up several likely colors, and after smearing some on cardboard and letting them dry, I chose my favorite. It's darn near the color of her eyebrows, maybe a bit darker. Since I wanted better light to paint in, I put off the actual work for tomorrow. Still gonna hafta buy a sealant - but those are fairly cheap and easy to obtain from almost any craft section of a good-sized store. If it goes well, I'll let ya know what I used !

Meanwhile, Chatty Cathy got her clean-up off and on during the past few days. I don't think her dress has ever been off her - her legs and arms have stains from it. She has that so-typical thinness of hair right where the Mattel-issue headband goes, too. Every last doll like her and Timey and Dottie, and others both smaller and larger, from that era has that same bald spot. Also some melt marks at the arm and leg joints. Several of her stains are below the surface, and I've heard Magic Eraser-type cleaners work wonders, so next time I'm out, I may invest in one. 

But I'm always drawn in to that sunny, sweet smile. It's $1.99 well spent, in my opinion !

1 comment:

  1. Little Chatty Cathy is looking so much happier... absolutely a well spent $1.99!

    ReplyDelete