Saturday, April 5, 2014

White Goods Freak Me Out

 Current Notes: Or, 'Tanks for Nothin' !' 




Bane of my existence for the last week.
Yes, worse than my guys' socks. 
Regrettable Signs You Got Off the Monster High Train at the Right Time : You see that an official Mattel Facebook/Twitter/Whatever The Kids Are Using These Days invites all and sundry to view their latest DVD release, referring to the latest epic as the next ‘boovie’ (movie). Between that and the Littlest Pet Shop ripoff Secret Creepers line, I think Mattel’s starting to skew too young for me. 


Even though some new photos have surfaced – various characters wearing what look like pop-in DracuLaura teeth – I’m still not much interested. Maybe if they were all wearing glasses… Although I think the teeth are clever, and wonder a bit what the ghouls look like under the fangs. Hey, one of ‘em was a Ghoulia, first I’ve seen since Scaris or Ghouls Night Out. I hosted a fun mental image of Slo Mo imploring Mattel’s board of directors, ‘Please ! Fewer Ghoulias ! I’m only one man-zombie, okay ?!’.


OK. Now that it’s resolved, I can tell ya’ll what’s kept me so busy all week. You may remember a few weeks back, we bought a used tankless water heater off Craigslist to replace the other one we bought off Craigslist that began flooding the garage part of the Garpartment. It’s why I dragged that mountain of dirty clothes the Laundromat – I didn’t want to make more of a flooded, soggy, humid mess back there. Well, Beloved Hubby’s current Job From Hades was finally officially over Friday, but the old water heater went replonza on Tueday. He got the old one out and the ‘new’ one in Wednesday, but it didn’t work. So we ordered a brand-new one from Amazon, and it arrived Friday.


Since we had the down time, Beloved re-tiled the tub. It. Is. GORGEOUS ! I felt so luxurious using it today, but I’m getting ahead of m’self.  Anyway, the new one arrived…  and it didn’t work either. Well, skittles. He tried everything, and we were at Home Despot so much, I thought they’d start charging us rent for the parking space, still nothin’. I’ve been going along with him, helping with tiling, keeping him company, holding flashlights, locating lost tools and pieces, matching receipts to returns, the usual. Then, Beloved realized he’d always installed the water heaters the same way, based on how the old one –the one FIL (or somebody) reportedly paid $1200. to have professionally done – was placed. He wondered if one segment was backwards, and it turned out, it was. I have no idea how any of these water heaters have ever worked now ! He tried again with the newest one. And it worked. A little.


It’d take me too long to get into how tankless water heaters work, plus there’s a good chance you already know more than me about it ! Suffice it to say water and gas need to be at certain use levels for it to activate. Those tested fine. The brand new water heater was all over the place. A shower would keep getting hotter – a rare experience in my life, they usually get colder ! – then suddenly you were bathing in a tricking mountain stream. In January. It couldn’t stay constant to save its copper.


So Beloved ripped it out and put in the Craigslist one. And it works perfectly. No fine tuning, no ‘sweet spot’ that had to be found and prayed over. It’s worked and it still does. Amazon has already accepted the return, UPS will be here Monday to pick up the new one, and issue us a refund in about a week.



(grin) We’re taking that money and buying a new-to-us gas wall oven next week. I can’t wait – but I’m also a little scared…

No comments:

Post a Comment