Monday, April 14, 2014

Mmmmm...tasty !

Current Notes: Dibs on the blue wing ! 




Look, I’m a modern woman. I can adjust to all kinds of thinking that most emphatically aren't my own, but applying the word ‘vegan’ to stuff that has nothing to do with food is really annoying to me lately. First time I ran up against ‘vegan leather’, I had to laugh – it was an old coat that was cheap crappy vinyl when it was new ! Today, though, really took the gluten-free biscuit. Was touring some craft sites when I saw ‘Vegan Butterfly Art’. I actually had to blink my eyes a couple times and look again. The page still read ‘Vegan Butterfly Art’. Wow. Paper butterflies attached to more paper.


But I started thinking about it. How much meat is on a butterfly ? Have they ever been raised for meat, or all they all free-range ? Who among us hasn’t pushed away from a lovely midsummer butterfly buffet, patting our tummies and declaring that we usually just eat one, those big beautiful monarchs are just too much meat ! And the last time I had to leave my vegan-certified paper salad partially uneaten, I nearly cried.


Now I’m all hungry.


Believe this or not, last night I finally got off my lazy butt and made something. But even then, at the pinnacle of my creativity (at least for that night), I was indolent. Instead of walking all the way to the kitchen for some better cardboard and picking up some clean drawing paper from the Arena on the way back, I dug around what I could reach from my comfy chair. And traced Tia’s left foot on a square of paper that previously separated an unfortunately delicious piece of provolone cheese from its twin for breakfast that morning. I expanded the tracing with a seam allowance sketched out on a flattened pack of cigarettes. May not have been the best cardboard in the house, but for what Beloved Hubby pays for a pack, I’m sure it was the most expensive ! A shoe pattern – finally !


It was such a rare thing, it snowed this morning. Just a flurry that melted before it hit the ground, but snow in April ? Bizarre. I can only conclude that my sudden movement has shocked the planet and caused it. I’ll try to be more careful in the future, I promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment