Thursday, April 24, 2014

Library Thursday !

Current Notes: Good read, especially for a kids' book !




Seems like I’ve been at the Library all day ! First, I had to make good on my promise to take MIL to the local one – I’d had to cancel twice, and felt bad. Turned in nearly all of ours that we were done with and picked up a kids’ book I had on hold. I liked the author’s other works, and this one was great, too. If you find yourself  looking for something to read to or give to the younger set, I can recommend The Girl With 500 Middle Names, by Margaret Peterson Haddix.


I also scored a six-volume complete set of The Gale Encyclopedia of Science, Second Edition for a whoppin’ big $1. Print encyclopedias just aren’t in much demand now, but I still love having a good reference I can use at my leisure. And when I pay a dollar for something that was about $1K new…wow.


Then, after a quick light lunch, it was time for Game Day at PreviousTown Library. I’d bowed out last time, but I promised to make up for it this time, so… At least we didn’t have to leave early – no shopping this week. Dearest Son still wanted to leave early so we wouldn’t get stuck kidsitting like last time. The other parents still leave en masse for more secluded discussion spaces once they’ve assembled and leave me to keep up with the mass of kids, and never include me in whatever secret symbol the flock uses to take flight. I countered by wandering around, so they could see I wasn’t monitoring, and it’s like none of them cared. I’d say I helicopter too much, but every week, I see game pieces and floor pillows being thrown, and yelling arguments start that I have to quell. I find m’self unwilling to abandon Dearest to kids wilder than him, and the Library staff shouldn’t be expected to quiet loud kids when their parents are 50 feet away and pretending they don’t have kids at all.


This week, S. was setting up Monopoly with her son, so we joined them. About halfway through, Beloved Hubby joined us ! They’d finished early today, and he’s been in PreviousTown most of the week, so it was great. Dearest ended up riding home with him, I finished out the game – S’s son won – and stopped by Joanne’s for some elastic.


Have to confess, I wasn’t very pleased with Joanne’s elastic. Oh, it was at a good price for quite a bit of elastic, but I didn’t get why a bundle folded one way was $3.99 and the same width, same length, even the same brand folded another way was $3.29. Maybe because one was on an eye-level shelf, and I’d had to hunt a bit for the less expensive hank ? Anyway, I found a 40% off online coupon thanks to my phone and joined the line. Pretty lady ahead of me said she wished she’d brought her coupons, I offered to share the link to them with her. Or if she let me use her phone, I’d find it for her. She told me yes, she has the latest brand-name phone, but she had no idea how to use it and didn’t want to learn, much less let anyone else touch it. Okay, then. She then paid $72. for three small bundles of fabric and made a nose-to-the-ceiling-camera exit. Well, it’s customers like her that help pay for my coupon discounts, so long as everyone was happy, she didn’t bother me.


By the time I got back, my guys were sleepy and napped. I read all three Omnibus editions of Kitchen Princess manga that I’d snagged from the PreviousTown library. Hope the next one is due out soon ! Cute as heck, innocent as a Harlequin novel from the early 70s, and comes with recipes. There is a fourth Omnibus, and I’ve already requested a hold for it.



Didn’t get to sew last night, it was raining hard – thunderstorm ! – and I always sleep like a brick when it rains. Crashed fairly early, so I’m hoping to use my new elastic tonight ! 

1 comment:

  1. Oo! Kitchen Princess! I'd forgotten about that manga! I need to find it and re-read it.

    That's actually pretty funny that the lady at Joann's was such a snob about you offering to help her save money! I had the opposite encounter with a lady at TRU back before the Christmas rush. I told her about the online coupon and she was beyond excited for me to show her how to pull it up on her phone. People are so weird, you never know how they'll react.

    ReplyDelete