Thursday, April 10, 2014

Thrift Princesses !

Current Notes: I don't think you could have left them there, either...




I gotta quit going to that thrift store. Didn’t go last Sunday, and since we were in the area for errands (and playin’ hooky from Game Day, hooray for pizza bribes !) anyway, Dearest Son and I stopped in. $16. later, I walked out with 13 Wishes DracuLaura, a gorgeous poseable Jasmine with an irresistable face, and a stunning Ariel in the best fin I’ve ever seen – she actually has legs in there ! – plus a grab bag of DPrincess clothes and some spray glitter.


I confess, I dug the dolls and clothes outta one of the thrift shop’s ‘fresh stock to be placed’ rolling bins, so they hadn’t even been shelved yet, but I’ve yet to meet a thrift that minds, long as you pay for it. I confess, I nearly spent more for a $7. bag of more dolls, mostly for the perfect Pocahontas in a nearly-new Cinderella work dress. I’ve never owned either the character doll or the dress, so I’m fighting going back for it.


The grab bag was well worth the four bucks. I got Jasmine’s teal and red harem pants (I never get the tops to those), a sparkly Snow White dress, two Mulan costumes, and a random pair of green knee pants and a torn tulle veil. If Aladdin ever wore green knee pants, I’d swear they were his.


A few minutes’ research showed both dolls were 2012 Disney Store versions, and I’m fairly certain the Cinderella  and Pocahontas dolls I left in the bin are, too. The Snow White costume is from the current (as in, on TRU’s site now) Mattel version, the one with the glitter bodice and tulle ruffle skirt insert. Mulan’s clothes are from an accessory set sold in 2011 – turns out, the green knee pants go with the green shirt, they’re her ‘training sequence’ costume. Only thing I’m missing is a brush, hosiery, a doll-size staff, and a figurine of ‘Little Brother’, the dog. Jasmine’s teal pants actually go with the doll I bought, and her red pair are from her 2011 accessory set. I’m fairly sure I saw the purple dress that’s also in the pack on the Rapunzel doll in the $7. bag of dolls. So tempted…


The pink princess dress Jasmine came in was, understandably, harder to identify. I dare you to look up ‘pink princess dress’ and see how many thousands of entries you’ll have to wade through, and still not find it. The only clue the dress itself gave was that it came from the Made In China toy factory. (sigh) I trusted my instinct when it said, ‘That looks like a kind of knockoff version of Ariel’s pink gown’, and started the search that way. After studying hundreds of Little Mermaid dolls – and to think, I thought her fashion-doll size only came in ‘little kid Tyco Ariel’ and ‘borders on sexy Mattel Ariel’ versions. There’s thousands ! And each one has a slightly different…something. I figured, if someone shelled out for Fashion and Accessory sets for Jasmine, Mulan,  and Cinderella, then donated them all and the dolls, perhaps they also bought the Ariel set, too. Ding-ding ! Yup. Jasmine’s dress is actually Ariel’s, from a set that sold out last year. Whew. Glad I got all that cleared up !


I’m slowly getting used to the Disney Store articulated body. For whatever reason, Jasmine’s feet are always pointed in the wrong direction. In fact, I usually end up flinching when I see them, as they’re often completely (painfully) backwards from how a standard human foot would work. Also, I now know why they’re nearly always in big fluffy gowns. It covers their ‘frog leg’ seated stance. Wow. I can only guess that Ariel’s fin is holding hers together, cause Jasmine has some serious impolite-in-a-princess splay leg goin’ on. Better hope there’s no upskirt cameras in Agrabah or Atlantica !


Didn’t do a lot of research on DLaura, as it wasn’t necessary, but the only things missing are her ‘crown’ headpiece, earrings, and necklace, and that strange useless lantern thing. I was really glad to see she had her shoes, ‘cause I’d always liked them. Wonder what I’ll re-dress her in… Kinda glad I didn’t see this cool MH make-up case a month ago, I’d have wanted it, and hoped I could wait for a sale ! I mean $40. is kind of a lot, even if it does come with Clawdeen ears…


In any case, I was darn lucky to find all this for less than the price of one doll ! But I’m so tempted to run out tomorrow…see if a certain bag is still there…


1 comment:

  1. Wow, your thrift is a regular parade of treasures! I'm amazed that you found so many great dolls (and especially clothes!), there!

    ReplyDelete