Saturday, April 12, 2014

What is with me and the lure of free patterns...?

Current Notes: I'm gonna print this one ! 




Had some problems with my computer today. I swear, I never worked so hard for free patterns. (grin) A pattern-sales group sent me a ‘20% Off Anything !!1!!’ coupon, and I wondered what I’d spend it on. Most of their sales are for over-ruffled, six yards of four different $8. fabrics for a kid’s blouse sort of sewing, but occasionally they offer something fun. I got my soft-side box pattern from them, and while it takes two days to prep and sew one box, I’ve gotten a lot out of it.


I’d been considering a microwave bowl potholder – basically, you put it in there with the soon-to-be hot soup or whatever, and grab the fabric edges when it’s done. It was only about five bucks…but wait. If there’s one thing Pinterest taught me, it’s that there’s millions of patterns for free out there. And, three minutes later, I was cut/pasting pretty much the exact same pattern into my Word program for safekeeping. Yaay, freebies ! Makes you wonder what came first, the free pattern or the for-sale one.


That really was about all I wanted. Most of their doll clothes patterns I can figure out for m’self, they’re not that complicated (unless they’re ‘dolly and me’ for some of the beruffled bonanzas, and I don’t want those regardless). I already have purse patterns that I haven’t touched, and Dearest Son’s growing out of themed Easter Baskets and actually said he’d prefer a simple (but big) bag of candy instead.  


But that didn’t stop me from inventorying my patterns and scans and looking for more ! Turns out that, aside from their hips, DP&M and Supersize Barbie dolls are fairly close sizewize, and most patterns for one can easily be tweaked to fit Crissy, Candi, Tiffany Taylor, or the others. For whatever reason, Tia and Belle have much larger hips than all the other girls ! And I had a couple patterns for Supersize already. I have five different wedding gown patterns designated specifically as wedding gowns, not counting all the other gowns and dresses. If various 80s doll magazines are to be believed, lots of people spent those years setting up Crissy dolls for many, many proms ! Really, there isn’t much I don’t already have for Belle and Tia, so I don’t know why I still search, but it is what it is – pure, unmitigated greed on my part !


Just so the day wasn’t completely wasted harvesting more free patterns, I printed one for Crissy pants. From what I can tell, they should fit, but there’s only one way to tell. Can someone lever me off this chair and aim me in the direction of the Arena ?


Beloved Hubby’s doing better – they didn’t give him pain pills at all, mostly anti-inflammation drugs specific to kidney stone sufferers. That’s helping more than he thought it would.



1 comment: