Sunday, April 13, 2014

Darn you, Thrift Store !!

Current Notes: All this and a bag of clothes for less than $22. ! 
I keep hitting sales like this, we'll need to finance a house expansion ! 




Got to hit the thrift just as the doors opened – in time to see someone sweep an armload of 25c porcelain dolls into her cart. At least now I know who buys all the dolls on Sunday tag days ! Glad I don’t like porcelains. And these had been around since I started going there - plenty of dust !


I admit, I couldn’t help looking for that bag of dolls I didn’t buy Thursday. Wasn’t behind the counter. Wasn’t with the dolls on display (very thin display this week, as most of the porcelains were in that one woman’s cart). Not with the bagged toys in the front bin. Not with the toys in the usual loose bin in the back. I’d resigned m’self to knowing someone else bought them, and I was OK with it – truly, did I really need to spend another $7. on dolls, and that mostly for their clothes ? – when I found the bag over in Stationery/ Crafts.


So, of course, I had to buy it. It was destiny ! Ok, ok, I just went ahead and bought it. What the heck. I also bought five pair of pants (three for Dearest Son, two for Beloved Hubby), and the whole adventure was $11.60. I knew I wasn’t gonna save any money on the dolls, as they’d just been put out for sale a few days ago, but I am kinda proud over the pants. Beloved loves his, it’s harder to get a reaction out of Dearest when it comes to clothes.


Debated over buying the unopened Dazzle gold/red cowboy outfit. Remember those ? Miniature Barbie dolls from Mattel. So tiny ! So 80s ! So…unopened…worth anything ? In the end, I decided that, if I wasn’t gonna play with it, it was kind of a waste of money to buy it in hopes of resale. Of course, I looked it up once I got home… and it’s selling for about what the thrift was asking. Take away eBay and PayPal’s cut, and I really would have lost money. So I’m glad I bought what I did.


I also found Disney Store Cinderella again, wearing the pink ‘made by mice and birds’ makeover dress – I was tempted, ‘cause I never had that dress either, but it was torn in three places and sewn back together in two, perhaps by the mice and birds again, so I’ll wait. Snow White seems to have found a home, and I can’t even remember what she was wearing.


After Dearest Son was absorbed in a movie and Beloved Hubby was napping, I tore into the bag. I scored three well-dressed dolls – Disney Store Pocahontas, as previously mentioned, in the Cinderella Work Dress, a Mal-Wart Rapunzel definitely wearing the second accessory pack Jasmine purple dress, and Mulan, still in her signature gown. I’m fairly certain that both Pocahontas and Mulan are late 2012 Diz Store dolls. It’s amazing how pale Mulan’s skintone is, especially next to Pocahontas and Jasmine. It looks even more translucent next to Rapunzel. I can see where the previous owner cut most of her stray lock of hair. Wish her expression was as lively as the animated version’s.



But before the afternoon had passed, I’d finished with all the new dolls’ hair and cleaning. So tempted to reroot the second Rapunzel with short brown hair. Slo Mo watched the parade of pretty girls swap clothing and was idly eyeing the red ‘slave girl Jasmine’ pants, so I hid them. Although, if I’d had the bra top to match… still, red’s not really his color, ya know. Now, the turquoise pair, or the Mulan gown…I’ll leave those out for him, in case he gets bored tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment