Thursday, April 25, 2013

Shirr fun !


Current Mood : Satisfied




Pretty good day today ! I finally made a decision about something that’s been bugging me, actually sewed something, and had a first-bid win on eBay, something truly rare for me. I’m real cheap, ya know. And then I found out that tomorrow’s kind of a ‘me’ day – I’ll be running errands with Beloved Hubby while Dearest Son is visiting his grandparents, but at least I’ll be out of the house !


OK. Decision. Few weeks ago, I found a pattern for Timey Tell’s little ‘jumper’ dress. Like many of Ken’s Mattel outfits, it gives the illusion of separates when it’s actually all one piece. And for years, I’d been intending to make my own. It’s just that the design has symbolized the epitome of 70s doll style for me for decades, and being able to sew my own would probably keep me from labeling all my just-finished doll outfit photos on Flickr with ‘bad doll sewing’ tags. At least for a few weeks…


Thing is, along with my intent to sew my own was the knowledge that I’d have to make my own pattern, too – after all, *nobody* made patterns for Timey or Dottie, much less for her issue dress. So I mostly put it off, thinking I’d need to sacrifice one of those issue dresses for a pattern, and the two I already had were in good shape. I’d either have to find a third in wrecked condition darn cheap, or sketch and alter ‘til I got it right. Not too long ago, I wasn’t at all confident I could do ‘sketch and alter’. Sewing for MH for three years – and sorting through all of the darn good clothes I’ve sewn for Elphie and Fiyero recently – has really improved my skills, and to a lesser extent, my confidence.


But when I found the pattern I was my usual dead broke, so I bookmarked and moved on. Now that I want to work on some Timey/Dottie clothes, the pattern idea has come around again. It’s eight bucks – kinda steep for a simple dress and a pair of panties – but it’d save me some work. Or…I could satisfy another need for just a few bucks more. I’m also mildly obsessed with having my dolls’ original shoes. Don’t know why, but it kinda bugs me when I don’t. I’ve looked on and off for Timey, Dottie, and Cathy’s shoes, but they’re all fairly rare. Now, I’m considering buying another Timey – who comes with the dress, shoes, and even socks, for just a few bucks more than the pattern. Hmmm. Noodled around with the plusses and minuses and concluded today that I’m gonna try to buy the second Timey – if the seller ever gets back up with me – and plow the ‘pattern funds’ into getting it all. Sure, it’s more work, but I’m rather looking forward to it !


And if I do get the second Timey, at least she’ll leave Chez Insanity well-dressed ! With that off my mind, I wafted through that stack of scraps from yesterday. A light yellow floral on top would be just big enough for a shirred sundress, and that wouldn’t take long. Only one thing – I’ve almost forgotten how to shirr ! I remembered to steam the stitches, and about how to sew it, but some of the details just hadn’t been stored in my memory very well. Quick YouTube video got me reoriented, and I was soon diggin’ in the thread boxes for something to mostly match the scrap. Not long after, Signature Clawdeen had something new to wear, and I think it looks lovely on her. I remember how to shirr ! Still, I think I’ll add straps maybe tonight – it looks like it’s missing something. And sitting a bit low on her chest.


And, ironically, I won an auction for a pair of doll shoes I’ve been wanting. Clears out my ‘fun money’, but I’m glad I have them on the way. Oh, and my MH drawer pull finally came in – for some reason, the seller sat on it a week between printing out the mailing label and actually getting it to a Post Office. I need to find a new screw for it, too. Slow shipping aside, it’s really heavy and looks great. Now I’m just waiting on some fabrics from Japan, some Velcro ™ from China, and some vinyl from California ! What can I say, I really enjoy my fun money !

No comments:

Post a Comment