Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I don’t see the resemblance, do you ?


Current Mood : Cold and slightly bitter, darn it. 




At least it finally stopped raining…


Still thinking about yesterday. I kind of had a method to that madness. Y’see, with nothing new on the MH horizon for a while, and nothing I really wanted in other lines, I was primed to buy something just to have A New Thing when we got a few extra bucks.  I go through this every year. I’m really trying to rein it in this time, by counting up how many doll shoes I have, spending time with the dolls I already have, and really thinking through what’s motivating me when my attention gets snagged unexpectedly, stuff like that.


It’s just that… every year, I see the thousands of patterns, neat inexpensive shoes, and awesome outfits for American Girl and clone dolls. I kind of want to sew and buy and create those, too, but the fact of the matter is, I can’t stand AG dolls. If they were all vinyl, maybe, but I really don’t like the stocky body and how the doll has to be dressed to the throat for the never-matches fabric to not show. Plus, every all-vinyl doll I’ve seen is smaller than the AGs, so it doesn’t do much good to buy them to use with AG patterns. But every year, about this time, I start looking and conclude that it’s a bad idea, but I still have to fight off the weird longing anyway. Heck, I had two ‘Our Generation’ dolls, bought cheap at flea markets, and never did anything with them, so I don’t know why I go nuts like this as soon as we have a few bucks. Y’know, sometimes I annoy even m’self…


However, this year, I actually did something instead of just moan and fight with my annoying self. Today, I measured. While I knew Timey Tell, Hi, Dottie, and Chatty Cathy (the 1969 one, not the 50s one – I wish Mattel had never reused that name !) share nearly the same body, I didn’t know it’s darn near a perfect match for AGs ! I compared measurements from several AG websites, just to be sure. Her legs are shorter, her neck is thinner, and her hips are a bit bigger, but that’s easy to alter as ya sew most patterns. Heck, most dresses, I won’t have to amend much beyond length ! Her shoulders, arms, and wrists are almost identical. Glad I didn’t donate all those AG patterns like I planned to ! So that was a great plus to the day.


I kinda needed it. Few weeks ago, Dearest Son announced that, since he was ditching his dolls, he didn’t need the dollhouse either. Yep. The big Dreamhouse we just bought him for Christmas. (sigh) I didn’t hold much hope for getting much for it used, especially when I saw it Dec. 26th at Mal-Wart for $70. (and I thought that was frustrating !), but I stumbled on a ‘wanted to buy’ on Craigslist – for that exact dollhouse. And $50. isn’t too bad, I guess… ended up spending most of the day taking pictures, fishing the Barbie dolls out of the ‘Donate’ bag, and corresponding with the still-interested author of the ad. She’ll be here tomorrow afternoon, and hopefully will take it away with her. Since it’s Dearest’s house, it’s Dearest’s money… he offered the proceeds to us, but nope. What a sweet son we have !


I just feel kind of ticked, even though I shouldn’t. Busted butt to get that for him, busted butt to sell it for him. Yes, I'm glad there’s a potential happy home for it, but I get to clean our house and get everything ready to meet the buyer tomorrow. And then, since the Dreamhouse will be hopefully gone, I get to stage his dolls to sell them next. I was kind of keeping them, in case he changed his mind – he’s done that with several of his toys over the years – but without the house, he sure won’t want the dolls. And it’s not like he can write an eBay or Craigslist ad on his own.


Ah, well. I don’t know why I’m whining. Gotta lose the 'tude. I got two dolls out of his purge, and maybe getting his ready to go will motivate me to sell my own. I may put all the dolls in one big lot and sell ‘em that way. Fiyero and the chaise/ jewelry box will have to be sold separately. Unless (snerk) I wanna attempt to pass Fiyero/Matt O’Neill off as Frankie’s father ! 

1 comment:

  1. If you're selling any Barbies with the Steffie face mold I might be interested XD

    http://travelingtwig.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete