Sunday, April 28, 2013

Connundrums, part MCXXVII


Current Mood : So sleepy...




I gotta quit watching Jem on Netflix. Keeps reminding me of a time when I was gonna live in Paris – for part of the year – and have a London Fog trenchcoat tied (not belted !) at the waist, over a flowing silken  black dress, my feet admirably clad in matching smoky hose and black FM pumps as I nimbly danced over the ancient cobblestones in a romantic haze of lamps and shadow at twilight. Yes, I used to think these things. Until I first met real cobblestones in Belgium, and soon learned I could barely keep upright in kitten heels on that stuff. Twice my face got up close and personal with cobblestones, I lost count of how many times my knees did, so I learned pretty quick to keep them a safe distance from my little fantasy delusions.


And I’m having the latest in a series of my little fits about the next MH doll coming out. ToysRUs.com has ‘gone live’ with the pre-orders for Headless Headmistress Bloodgood and horse Nightmare - $43. ! Of course, by the time you add shipping and tax, it’s almost $55., and all for a doll I’ve never seen except for the same prototype photo, over and over again. And, I guess because it’s a pre-order, ya don’t get the ‘save five bucks’ discount. (sigh) Beloved Hubby says we have the funds, I can do it, but… I hate to tie up fifty bucks outta the family coffers for nearly two months. TRU says they won’t bill ‘til they ship, but we all know they’ll tap the account temporarily, and having to keep up with a floating $55. is a pain.


Thing is, you’d think this’d be exactly what I want. Don’t have to run around and call the local brick-and-mortar every Thursday afternoon for two months, it’s guaranteed I’ll get one, I really like the character, and she’s new, yatta yatta. Still, I’ve never seen the actual doll, TRU has a reputation for stocking shelves before filling orders, and I’ve heard waaay too many tales of people getting seriously wonky dolls via TRU mail order. I don’t know if I’ve been ridiculously lucky with mine, or I just don’t see the wonk like everyone else seems to. So I haven’t placed my order yet, and I’m not sure if I’m going to.


What I may end up doing is waiting a few days – I have some funds coming in, and using those will keep the ‘mystery floating $55.’ from haunting the family checkbook ‘til mid-June, or whenever the dolls actually ship. If the pre-order option dries up between now and Wednesday, so be it.


Twila, the daughter of the Boogey Man, is starting to show up online and in stores. She uses the smaller Howleen-size body, and is part of the 13 Wishes line. I’m barely semi-interested in her, but I found her diary, thoughtfully posted by new owner Ben Mumberson, contained a reference to Clawdia, one of Clawdeen’s siblings. To me, that’s hilarious, because it’s what I named Dawn of the Dance Clawdeen, after Robotech : Macross character Claudia Grant. MH Clawdia is studying in Londoom, wishes to be a writer, and is hilarious even chatting via webcam. (grin) My Clawdia holds fond memories of walking in the snows of London with her doomed fiancĂ©e, is also a funny one, and is in charge of two aircraft carriers grafted to a spaceship that holds a civilian town in its belly. Other than that, they’re identical ! (snerk)  


And that’s Chatty Cathy, the 1969 version, wearing the dress I bought 80s Baby Crissy for. Man, I wish Mattel had never recycled the ‘Chatty Cathy’ name, I’ll never find this doll’s shoes at this rate. Dress is a little big, but still looks nice on her, so I’m glad I trusted my visual judgment that it’d fit. I’ve been burned so many times thinking this or that would fit, I hardly ever trust my ‘eye’, ya know ? But if you switched out some fabrics, it’d be more apparent that this dress is very close to Timey Tell’s issue one, the one I’m trying to replicate. Plus, it’s one of the few hand-made dresses I’ve ever seen that wasn’t made by me, so it’s important ‘evidence’ that I’m not the only one sewin’ for dolls out here. This may actually be locally sewn ! So I’m happy.


Hope your weekend ends on a peaceful note. Maybe from a cardinal ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment