Sunday, April 14, 2013

Bet you didn’t know Coffin Bean sofas float !


Current Mood : Tired cranky.



Well, not really. I confess, I wasn’t thinking when I bought those wooden blocks I got from Michael’s Friday. I forgot to look under the sofas before I left the house, to see how large a block or bead I’d need, and I completely forgot that I’m using both of my sofas, not one.  I just kinda guessed when I bought that set of six wood blocks that they’d be about right. As-is, the way the sofas are made, adding the blocks boosted them up maybe an eighth of an inch. Not even enough. So I found some thick cardboard and cut it up into planks that fit inside the sofa, and those and the blocks bump ‘em up almost a quarter inch higher, and that’s what I wanted. Having only six blocks for two sofas meant I’d need to triangulate them, which meant the blocks don’t show in the front. So now, the sofas look like they’re floating, just a little bit. I like it !


Main reason I wanted to do that is, the sofas are just a bit too low, a lot like most Barbie furniture. Dolls can’t sit up straight or bend their knees well like that. My dolls kept flopping over, and I couldn’t pose them very well. They look better now, and a little happier, so I’m happy. That was a good use of $1.69 and some recycled cardboard !


Had to laugh. I saw a pre-sale for the Abbey & Heath Classroom set on eBay. $149.99. Here’s a cut/paste from his/her own auction page : ‘A lot of buyers have been burned by vicious sellers and I truly empathize for any person that is out to take advantage of another and I personally could never bring myself to terms of doing such…’  $150. for maybe a $35. set, and you’re not taking advantage ? But then again, you did say you empathize *for* anyone out to take advantage, not the person being taken advantage of. Might wanna proofread your manifesto next time. Oh, well. At least the shipping’s free and it’s not a downright scalping gouge…


I got so ticked I sat down and made half a pair of the world’s ugliest Ugg boots for MH dolls. Few days ago, when the weather first turned nice, with brisk days but hints of spring, I got to see one of the…not so lovely scenes of the season – a pretty young lady in the tiniest blouse allowed by law, paired with an equal opportunity pair of shorts…with Uggs nearly to her knees. Maybe just her ankles were cold ? More likely, I’m too old to be fashionable. Even my ‘mom’ jeans are out of date – and second-hand. But anyway, between scalpers, questionable fashion, and strange people who don’t even live here trying to jump the fence into the pool (which hasn’t been cleaned or maintained in months), I’ve just about had it, so I wanted to make something ugly. Mission accomplished. Not sure if I’m even gonna bother making the other one.


Urgh. I think I need some sleep, stat ! Hope your weekend was swell !

3 comments:

  1. Hello from Spain: I have that same blue chair. I love it. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so picky about silly things like doll furniture ! Take care, Marta - sending you hugs and happiness ! Seeing your notes always makes me smile...:)

      Delete