Monday, February 11, 2013

Yet another reason to pity 'molded on clothes' dolls...


Current Mood : Sorted out.



Kinda wanted to wait ‘til Toy Fair 2013 was over before I really got into it – there’s always more ‘leaked’ photos just afterwards, just a bit more a day or two past. “Leaked” photos of the upcoming Music Festival MH doll line are only now hitting the intertubes, after being widely discussed and hinted on , then immediately followed by ‘Mattel didn’t allow photos in that area’. The usual. ASM, long a favored site for Toy Fair photos, hosts maybe ¾ Mattel in-house images and ¼ on site ones, but it’s pretty much all there. Visit here, and  you can click around lots of Mattel-issued press-kit photos of upcoming Barbie, Disney, and MH, and other products.


Music Festival. Umm…meh. They’re cute and look like much thought and effort has gone into their themes, and I can appreciate it’s not Frankie/DLaura/Clawdeen again, but I can’t say I want any of ‘em. It’s the second line I don’t really like (third if you count Scaris, which I bought half the dolls from anyway), so I’m glad I got my ‘I gotta want something, it’s MH and new, blast it !’ outta the way with Catrine. Now I can really say that I don’t want anything in a line, and stick to it without falling for the ‘I have to look forward to every line that comes down the pike’ trap. Whew ! It’s a relief.


Wanna know a secret ? (looks around furtively) I’m actually more excited about getting Dearest Son’s Toralei than I ever was about Catrine at my most fever-pitched waiting. I never connected with mine, and traded her to a friend, knowing they’d both be happy together. It’s really surprised me – and still does surprise me ! – that I’m happier with his than I ever was with mine. Maybe I knew even then that she wasn’t really mine. 


I think part of it was changing Howleen’s character a bit. I could do it and sustain it – before, especially with celebrity dolls, I couldn’t separate the character from the doll, and if I wasn’t fond of the real thing, I ended up not especially liking the plastic one either. When I failed to ‘change’ Toralei even in my own mind, I figured I was just too imprinted with the webisode character to make a dent in the doll configuration. Still, it’s kinda weird that there’s this much psychodrama in my head over a doll’s ‘personality’, even I gotta admit it.


But it’s not like it bothers me that much. I’m having fun, so it really doesn’t matter !


In ‘Let’s Work !’ news, Dearest Son and I finally fought his months-neglected closets – both of them – to a three-trash-bag halt. His room’s a total heap now, toys and tools scattered everywhere, but at least the junk is gone, there’s a whole box of outgrown donated toys and books ready to go, and he’s streamlined what he wants to keep. Hopefully soon, we can get some better organization for it all. Those open underbed boxes seem to invite trash to jump in !


I’ll probably go through the bins tomorrow, as it’s a ‘me’ day again, looking for lost MH shoes and Toralei’s tail. Not looking forward to it, I know the bins under his desk are already fulla trash and we just cleaned those last month ! But maybe it’ll help those dolls sell. Or I’ll find other treasures. Already found two missing forks in one closet…

No comments:

Post a Comment