Monday, February 4, 2013

Play day !


Current Mood : Playful



Well, she is ! 
Beloved Hubby’s feeling better by degrees, but getting back to his usual robustness has been slow going. So I was glad he took today off and just rested. We spent all my fun money yesterday, time to play with it all ! Found places for the pencils, stored the Valentines cards for later, pulled out some stickers, opened the Winx packs and put new shoes on Howleen, prepared the fat quarter for the laundry. Beloved claimed one of the favor-pack tops, and had fun spinning it on the table beside the sofa for a good fifteen, twenty minutes. He and Dearest Son ended up having top fights for a few minutes more.


The yellow boots Winx set is great. The headband sports a logo-shaped butterfly, but the figure pops right off. Two look headband ! The boots fit Howleen so perfectly, I got her to stand alone in them. But they kinda look ‘hot’ with a swimsuit, and not in a good way, so I put her in the new pink bow sandals instead.


I can tell you that Target’s house brand Market Pantry “Chickadee Crackers” are a very good approximation of Pepperidge Farms’ “Goldfish”. The taste is nearly the same, they’re just flat, and not as ‘poofy’ and air-filled as Goldfish. They’re shaped much like the Twitter logo, and I enjoyed imaging I was eating twits Tweets. About 70c cheaper for the same amount of crunchy cheezy goodness.


I asked to borrow Luna for a quick photo, and took that one. Now I’m thinking of doing more, kind of a ‘ghoul and her pony’ kinda thing. What’cha think ?


Ok. So. Catrine. I’ve decided against obtaining one. Can’t find one, not gonna hunt one down, don’t really care anything about the character, too little space = not feeling the need for Catrine. I realized early enough this go-round that I was craving ‘new’ not specifically Catrine herself. Heck, I knew something was up when I was seriously considering snagging the were-cat Fearleader set from TRU. Still, the big decision maker came when I read Catrine’s bio page, and nothing struck me. There was nothing described there that melted me in the slightest. It wasn’t enough that she was a cat, a white cat, she was pretty with pretty clothes, or big eyes. She was just another doll to me, not even a character, really. To contrast, back when she came out, I didn’t want Cupid, and resisted her until she was shown leading a radio show. What I used to do in my much-much-younger days. I resisted Operetta until I caught her Southern twang and passion for grits. Sure, it was played for gags, but when I noticed her hair was done up in 40s-vintage victory rolls…aaahh ! Want !


Thing is, each MH character hosts a part of me in them. It sounds amazingly self-centered, but it’s true, at least for me. Even Cleo’s ‘mean girl’ persona kinda reminds me of my own snarkiness and obliviousness, especially at that age. The dolls that don’t appeal don’t mean anything or don’t harbor any of my history in them. That’s how it was easy for me to pass along Toralei – even taking a chance on buying her in hopes that she’d grow on me, or as I learned more about her, I’d love her…failed. I didn't wanna be Toralei, and I just couldn't separate the doll from that notion. That’s why 'me = my dolls' isn't the case for everyone, thank Everything, and it probably doesn't work at all for kids. If it were universally true, some dolls would never find a good home ! Plus it'd be a lot harder to sell some others. 


It’s also why I don’t have very many Create A Monsters. It’s hard to remember their character points and flaws you yourself gave them when you often forget their names !


In an unrelated note, I’m also not getting that MH-themed $20. collapsible tote. Ticked me off too much when every other character one – from Mickey Mouse to SpongeBob to Dora – the exact same size from the exact same manufacturer, is only $14. Forget that !


Wish I could keep all this money I’m saving…

No comments:

Post a Comment