Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Not a lot going on, but here 'tis...

Current Mood : Improving


Whoo-hoo ! Beloved Hubby may have figured out why my breathing is so wonky and my energy levels are so low. Turns out, our air conditioner hasn't been serviced in so long, the filter fell apart when he went to get the size, and beyond it is unimaginable dust. We've been running it since his big weekend away, since having the doors open to humidity mucks up my breathing, and a/c tends to dry air out somewhat. I confess, I was getting a bit worried when the new inhaler still left me tight-chested sometimes, and I had no idea why it was taking me so long to bounce back.


Luckily, he knows what we need to do, and what cleaning supplies we need. So later this week, we'll hopefully have that fixed. He's working insane hours, or he'd have it done already, since even he and Dearest Son are coughing. I'd love to be back to normal, even if it means cleaning house and doing dishes again ! This place is a mess, because I can't work on that stuff for very long, and what I clean usually gets mucked right back up the same day.


Speaking of which... the new season of A&E's Hoarders starts next Monday - with dolls ! In fact, it looks like episodes 42 (season premiere) and 44 (airing 6/27) both feature dolls and toys. No word yet on #43, it gets skipped over on the website.


I'm starting to sleep at night again, which seems like a near-miracle after the last month. The new pillows, while firmer than I'm used to, seem to hold the cold a bit better, so finding their dazzling white newness at 2am is like breaking the surface of a nearly-but-not-quite frozen pond with your head, gasping deeply as the coolness wraps around and delights. A burst of a motion sends your heated head back through, going down this time, letting your mermaid tail break up any remaining ice as you strive for the dark, cooler promises of Deep Down. And that's all you know until the alarm clock intrudes.


I'm not sure what significance 2am holds. Since I'm rarely in bed twice at the same time in a week, it seems even stranger that, no matter what time I lay down, I'm always awake either right at 2am or within ten minutes. Half the time I can't get back to sleep, I get up and do some sort of puttering, but last night I read. The 50c copy of Garrison Keillor's Love Me we got from our last thrift store visit is going back there - I guess I got spoiled by his WLT book. Love Me was not good. Semi-decent writer gets married, then moves to The Big City when his one-hit-wonder book makes it sort of big, and if a woman he encounters is given a name or nationality, he'll be enjoying her intimate company within three pages. Even if she has to chase him down and launch on him - every woman desires semi-famous writers ten years after their solo book is published, ya know. Meanwhile, his wife, still unselfishly doing good works in Hometown, is pretty much ignored until she mentions she wants a divorce, so she can enjoy life, too. Of course, Our Hero (snort) can't have that, so he races back and convinces her to remain married to him while he carries on more affairs until he can't anymore. I was dismayed that's all I took away from the book and thought I was just surface reading again, but Amazon reviews bore me out. Especially the one that stated, 'I think it was better for him (Keillor) than it was for us.' I agree. Be glad to get that volume out of the house.


I'm about halfway through The Little Giant of Aberdeen County, and so far, so good. I confess, I chose that one (also from the thrift) because of its dress-form cover, and built-in blue ribbon bookmark. I love those things. May teach m'self to sew those into books I really like one day.


But for now, we're waiting for Beloved to come home, have dinner, and crash. I just hope he has part of the weekend off, so he can get some real sleep !

1 comment:

  1. Omg thank you for this post! I read that book too, got it for a dollar at the Dollar Tree not to long back, and I HATED it! Oh it was just terrible. The guy was just a wuss, in my eyes, and couldn't see he was only "popular" or "sexy" because of where his fame could possibly take others, while his devoted wife loved him for him, warts and all. He was a disgusting and vile little man by the end. I still have the book so I can do a review of it on my writing blog, but afterwards it's gone. LOL! Ok just had to say that. I'm off to continue this fun little game of blog catch up. :-)

    ReplyDelete