Saturday, June 18, 2011

Clawd rules Chez Insanity ! After a few minor wardrobe adjustments, that is.


Current Mood : Delighted with Clawd !


I stunned Beloved Hubby last night by (gasp !) actually opening a new doll purchase on the same day shown on its receipt. Simply couldn't resist Clawd, and I had an idea on how to salvage DracuLaura's outfit into something I'd want to keep. My clear plastic band collection increased by 14 when the deboxing was done, and I fit their box in with the others. (sigh) It just doesn't look like it belongs. I wish they'd stayed with the original box design.


Since it's getting crowded, I hung up Frankie and DracuLaura's bed boxes with thumb-tacks, and arranged the Fear Uniform paper dolls around them. Oh, and I got a bonus at TRU I forgot to tell you about. They were tossing out a display box for the second Monster High book, and let me have it. It's a simple shelf-type easel-backed hot-pink box, with the 'Cleo' skullette and the legend 'Freak is the new Chic. ' in sharp blue letters on an image of black faux-crocodile. Cute ! Not sure what I'm gonna do with it, though, but it's part of my display now.


Last night and today, though, it was all about Clawd ! Most folks I've heard from, in various blogs and message boards, bought the set for one doll, not both. I'm as guilty of it as anyone - if it'd been a Frankie and DLaura set, Beloved would have had a much longer nap yesterday ! Problem was, $35. is kind of a lot for mostly one doll, and the early photos weren't encouraging. Succintly (for once), I hated his hair. Animated Clawd has a high and tight nearly vintage Ken style 'do, with more modern side styling, and I loved that. It really said 'man doll' to me, which is odd since I also like longer haired guy dolls, too.


Anyway. The first photos of Clawd showed that he mostly had thin flocking circling his head, with a slightly deeper pile in a near faux-hawk between his ears. Unfortunately, this left huge bare circles in front of his ears, and that made me cringe. Wasn't sure how this'd work, I didn't want to leave him in the included turquoise 'newsboy' cap all the time. Hat looked nice, but again, turquoise ? Really, Mattel. (snort) I had one of these hats when my father drove a Corvette - he called it a 'give-a-d@mn' hat, which always made me laugh and feel a bit reckless. I kinda leaned towards fedoras. Darn you, Laura Holt - I did not look like a Remington Steele extra in the one I bought.


But my Clawd looked pretty good, really. The ear-circles were smaller than expected, and he looked more like animated Clawd, too. So I was happy. Still wanna make him some hats and spray paint half his wardrobe, though.


As you can see from today's photo, most of his clothes have a ragged-cut white collar edge, I presume it's to demonstrate his fierce werewolf nature. Me no likey. It either looked like a ruffled pirate / poet shirt collar or raggedy - neither seemed to accurately reflect the Clawd character. Add to it that, while they look like white cotton, both collars are actually a plastic-y woven fabric, probably for stabilization and body. Ick. I didn't like it, so out came the embroidery scissors. Snip, snip ! His 'bones' shirt and gold vest are now denuded of white ruffled slashes, and I'm happy with both. Thinking of spray-painting his gold boots brown and his hat navy blue, but it can wait a bit. The grey shape between his feet is his pet, Rockseena - a gargoyle bulldog. She has a stone collar and everything.


Ya'll can laugh at me, but I was wondering why all Clawd's stuff was gold-colored. At first, I thought it was Clawdeen's influence, since that's what his biography says...and then it hit me. Werewolf =/= Silver. Silver bullets, remember ? I can be so dense sometimes !


Beloved's proposed 'Basic Training' for the airsoft group began today - and it went OK. He's been worried about it. He came back home for lunch before heading to work and I got to hear all about it. He worked pretty late today, too, but he was satisfied with the day. I'm kind of tight-chested, but I got a couple loads of laundry done, and a bit more living-room trash and dish harvesting done. I'm still kind of weak and wheezy, but getting just a bit done is much better to my psyche than anything else. Plus we were running out of towels again.


Tomorrow, you get to hear all about DracuLaura and all her slight alterations. I know you just can't wait ! (grin) 

No comments:

Post a Comment