Monday, June 20, 2011

Amazing what can be done with a black Sharpie and embroidery scissors...


Current Mood : Weak and weary.


I had the absolute best intentions for today. After goofing around all day yesterday and feeling better, I was gonna whip our frightful kitchen into shape. True, I'd have to hack through it to even get to the mountains of dirty dishes, but even if I just did a little at a time, something would get done.


Problem is, the 'hacking' pretty much did me in. Emptying and gathering trash was about all I could do, and I still had to sit down and catch my breath with nearly every load. On the plus side, the trash in most of the house is out, but it's sad that it's all I got done.


I got some rest, though - while trying to catch my wind, I fell asleep three times - so hopefully tomorrow will be more productive. I got plenty of rest !


I also got a Barbie Collector catalog in the mail today. Much as I normally would love the 'outer space' styled doll - I still yearn for those amazing Astro Fashions from 1985 -  I really don't like her. Of course, it could just be that I don't know how to react to facial styling that handles blush as a meeting of lipstick and eye shadow, yet the doll still looks like an expressionless mannequin. It's odd to me, but now that I look at most of the new dolls, they all look sort of vacant. They have a straight-ahead stare, but no real 'engagement' in their expressions at all. Sure, Monster High is so highly stylized they're darn near caricature, but at least I can see a sort of wistfulness in Frankie, a 'quietly studying your behavior' expression on potentially autistic Ghoulia, and a nearly imperial 'do my bidding' on Cleo's face. I used to see that in Barbie, but the new dolls seem to lack it...well, probably not. I'm sure it's just me.


Still, I like a lot of the fabrics used on the 'Goddess of the Galaxy' doll. I just hate that they went to crunchy plastic for the corset. It makes the whole outfit non-removable (or at least, not without a hammer), and one of the great things about corsetry is how it shapes, defines, and hugs a figure. Hard plastic hugs nothing, and you can see gaps between the silver shape and the doll. It's kind of funny to see MH-style shoes on a Barbie, though.


It saddens me to see more 'permanently posed' dolls in the catalog. I'm sorry, but a doll that can't move isn't a doll, it's a statue or a figurine. I'm surprised Barbie statuettes sell, but if it's a celebrity representation - or designed by Robert Best or Bob Mackie - I guess anything goes !


Well, anyway. Dearest Son got to pick out his treat for the month, and after taking his time to decide, chose the 1/24th scale Presidential Limo die cast car he's had his pretty eyes on all month. It's been ordered, and will probably arrive this time next week. I told Beloved Hubby that the next set of dolls we can simply mail-order, since I mostly want props and clothes, so he put some cash aside for them. Idea is, when they get released, I'll be able to order them, no problem. He won't have to find time to drag to TRU, I'll be happy to have them on the way. Pretty good plan, I think ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment