Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I am *such* a discount hound...



Current Mood : All happy and smiling !

Current Image Notes : Click to see bigger ! What a haul !


Well, what can I say, I talk bigger than I act. Went out for a bit this morning for a few errands – Dearest Son’s ‘new’ office chair broke, so we were going to replace it with one he liked from that new thrift store – and somehow ended up at Target. Where some of the MH fandom has found Venus McFlytrap and Robecca Steam, and others have found markdown fashions and discount vehicles. Since we were there, from some odd design or another, we went in.


No new dolls – well, not *the* latest ones, but a couple I’d never seen before, I got to view today. Held my first basic Spectra doll ever, and still was kinda ‘meh’ about her. Ours also had the Operetta and Spectra ‘Dot Dead Gorgeous’ ones too, but again, I like the dolls I have and don’t really want more of the same characters I already got. I like Operetta’s dress, though.


I thought we were skunked on the discounts, too, but then I saw them – darn near all the new outfit sets ! I have no idea why they were hanging in the LIV section, but there they were, and I had my pick of three display-pins full ! I hadn’t even seen most of these before, ever, and now, they were all mine for just $3.96 each ! Wow. Heck, of the lot the only one I really wanted was Abbey’s, but I also snagged Clawdeen’s, Frankie’s, and Lagoona’s, mostly for bits and pieces and customs. For just four bucks, the shoes were worth that, and if I didn’t like ‘em, I could always use ‘em for trades or just paint ‘em black or something. And I could alter the outfits, too. I truly did not like Frankie’s outfit at all – the colors hurt my eyes – but I loved the ‘pie’ and ‘soda’, and could always Sharpie the shoe straps black…or the whole shoe. For that matter, I could Sharpie the whole outfit !


Lagoona’s glasses, though…whew. I know they have lots of fans,  but every time I look at them, I keep seeing Elton John, either rocking back and forth at a white piano busting out ‘Crocodile Rock’ or standing around describing this awesome pinball player he just met…I think those are going in the ‘wanna trade ? ‘ box. It’ll have lots of company from Clawdeen’s gold and purple fur jacket, Frankie’s headache-contrast shirt, Lagoona’s sack-purse, a spare Operetta guitar-purse, and the disco ball and pink pumpkins from the School. I’m gonna hafta upgrade the box if I don’t quit buying stuff.


They also had DracuLaura’s car on markdown – just $11.50 ! – but I decided against it. Dearest graciously offers to let me use his whenever I ask, and truly, we just don’t have space for two of ‘em. Another kid will surely love it and use it more than I will. Besides, four new outfits for the price of two ? That’s plenty for me for one day !


From there, we returned our Wii game rental – some shoot ‘em up Beloved Hubby and Dearest enjoyed – and checked out the party goods store next door. They had MH pencils (12 for $4., instead of the $6. to $8. I see on eBay), all the party supplies, including wrapping paper and confetti, and things like plastic cups and erasers, too. I refrained this time, but took note of it all. If I ever find a discount coupon for them, I wanna go back for the Party Favor Mega Pack – it looks like this. Mostly for the nearly doll-size ‘Decomposition Books’, but I’m also a total sucker for prisms and keychains. Again, I can always toss leftovers in the ‘wanna trade ?’ box. It was only $10. there, but you know me, I always hope for sales.


Hit Hobby Lobby briefly, mostly to see if they had dollhouse-scale trophies. Nope, but they did have all single-sheet scrapbooking papers half-off ! I snagged three vellum pieces I’ve been wanting for a while, and four more ‘sky with clouds’ pieces, for School windows. That should be plenty for when I wanna use it for photos. They also have half-off all shadow boxes, display cases, and flag displays, so I hope to go back. I’d like a nicer box for my wedding bouquet and the ‘It’s a BOY !’ display vase. McCall’s patterns are 99c, too, if you haven’t snagged what you need for Halloween, or any of their two or three doll patterns for non-AG-sizes, yet.


From there, we travelled to the thrift shop for Dearest’s ‘new’ chair and a couple frozen pizzas from the grocery in the same strip. While he carried in everything else and unlocked the door, I carried the chair in via my head, and he was soon actively using it, and there was a pizza in the toaster oven. What a grand day !


Got the dishes washed and floors swept, and Dearest took out trash. Got things ready for tomorrow’s dinner – meatloaf and baked beans ! – and made sure we had everything for tonight’s. I’m happy !

Or at least, I will be once Beloved is home...

4 comments:

  1. All the MH fashions are on sale here too. Sadly though they only had 2 dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, great haul Dorrie! I hope the fashions aren't going to be gone for good after this sale, I've still never even seen most of them in stores around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a great find! When I went to Target, the Liv stuff was supposed to be on clearance. NONE! So I suspect the same with the MH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frannie,
    At my target everything Liv was on sale. I think it's probably because they are phasing them out.

    The standard color liv's were 5 dollars the colored ones with longer hair where 10 as well as the sleep over dolls and the clothes were 6 dollars. I would suspect that if they haven't already gone on sale near you, they will soon.
    My Toysrus and walmart all have them on markdown.

    ReplyDelete