Sunday, April 1, 2018

Hair Play Sunday - Happy Easter !

Wish my 'new' QC Barbie looked this good ! Mine does have those little hair beads though. . . 

Hard to believe it's April already ! Luckily today's only April Fool's prank was when I placed a ham sandwich in front of Beloved, telling him it was liverwurst !  



Beloved Hubby and Dearest Son loved their ‘Easter Bindles’ – Beloved had fun rubbing the tulle over my head, showering me in gold glitter. I’m not sure how I ended up with bits in my mouth and more down my bra, but glitter is considered the herpes of the crafting world for a reason ! He's using his custom Lindt ribbon as a bookmark. Dearest put his glitter tulle to work in the MLP castle, as royal rugs and a bedspread. I told him he could have more whenever he wants - thanks to another thrift score weeks ago, I got an entire spool of the stuff. How clever of the Easter Bunny, to wait ‘til he got here to use craft materials from my sewing table !


I’m still finding places for last week’s second-hand bounty. I was thrilled to find those vintage Cricket and Velvet clothes, even though I have neither doll. There are lots of free patterns for both dolls online, and I can use the issue dresses as testers on the dolls I do have, to preview if the patterns might fit.

                                                                                                   
In an effort to stop the bored-hungry – I’ve gained weight over the winter – I decided to brush out the snarled curls of the single doll who still needed it, the ‘Royal Reflection Eyes’ Elsa in a Cinderella dress. Took the dress off and realized she actually was Cinderella, as Elsa’s painted-on panties are teal while Cindy’s are light blue. Plus her hair parts differently. Same head, though. Half an hour later, her hair was at least out of the dreadlocks – it’s still floofy, but the brush passed easily through it, and my wrists were whining. Thank Everything I use a pet brush on those wrecked tresses now. Found a small one in a Flea Market ‘Free !’ box, and I swear, when I donate these dolls – I’m now allied with Dolls For Appalachia – I’m going to include a pet brush with each one. Amazing how many Disney Princess ‘toddler’ dolls show up at Goodwill with Medusa-level hair.


I also had time to play with my new Quick Curl Barbie, the one with the left leg that falls off. Had one, and QC Skipper, as a kid. A bit of research showed she was the first issue version, like my childhood one, not the ‘Deluxe’ or ‘Miss America’ one. If I can’t fix her leg, I’ll just make her a simple elastic ‘girdle’ so she can sit and pose, gosh knows I’ve done that before. Might even make the girdle into panties, just for fun. For now, her leg’s staying where I snapped it back on, but it may just be playin’ with me.


After spending so much time with more modern dolls, a a near-vintage one keeps surprising me. She has butt markings, the angled T-n-T waist, no perma-panties, her legs click and hold three times, and her joints are strictly back and forth. In fact, this one had gone so long without any play, her arms were almost stuck in the sockets. They’re fine now.


Also, her head isn’t so full of hair that light behind her doesn’t shine through a bit, which gives her face an attractive glow. Hm. Wonder if that’s part of the appeal of vintage dolls.

1 comment: