Thursday, May 1, 2014

And here's what I got from Kawaii Meow !

Current Notes: You won't believe what else I got today ! 




Helped Beloved Hubby finish up and clean up from yesterday’s late afternoon/ evening home-repair job. That took most of the morning before his medical appointment, but it left us just enough time for that rarest of indulgences – Croissanwiches ! I prefer bacon. I also found a new survey notice from PineCone, so I have a new fund started. Not sure what for yet…


After his appointment, Beloved wanted to show me a fabric store he’d found, and I was all for that. And, oh, what a store… envision the fanciest fabric you’ve ever seen. Then double all the colors it was available in. Now toss in enough glitzy, glamor fabric to outfit every Vegas chorus girl and Bollywood film twice, then stir in some rich wools, crepe du chine, silks, performance knits, leathers and velvets, furs and yardages with feathers and rhinestones sewn to them, and lace big enough to make a skirt for you from with one seam and no hem required. After that, add some rooms labelled ‘$1. Room’, “Half off Half Price Room”, and “Free Patterns”. Top with two lovely, fun, kind owners and you have this store… but it was even better than all that. I don’t even know half of what I saw was, all I know is that store was in.cred.i.ble.


I could go all day singing its praises, but here’s the tl;dr – I couldn’t decide what I wanted, so they asked what I most often sewed. Whey I said ‘doll clothes’, their eyes lit up in unison, and the pretty blonde lady slipped into a closed office and came out with a shopping cart half full of remnants. The lovely brunette nodded in satisfaction. I was invited to dig through it, pick out what I wanted, and we’d cut a deal. These were remnants they held for a client who no longer sewed, and they didn’t want to deal with them, so they’d be happy just to get them out the door.


‘Pick out what I wanted’ ? I wanted almost all of it ! And I had some money, but surely the wealth of beauty I singled out would be far more than that. So I modestly slid ten or twelve pieces to the side, hoping I could afford half of them. So gorgeous ! I picked out the one I’d be upset to leave without and put it on top, and asked what they’d want for all this. Glitters and knits and UltraSuede, tulle and lycra and chiffon…it sang to me, dazzled me even as I regretted having to leave some pieces behind.


Ever have that feeling of the world contracting to a pinpoint, then suddenly rushing back up at you ? I had that sensation when the owners looked at each other and said, ‘Ten bucks OK ?’ OK ? I thought I’d shoot up to the ceiling ! But I felt like I was taking advantage of them, that’s a lot of gorgeousness for just a few dollars. They again reassured me that I was mostly buying them a late lunch, they didn’t need to make anything on this deal. I squee’ed around like a kid, and asked if I could upgrade lunch by adding a few more pieces for $20. They were fine with that, so I did. I didn’t get greedy, just got those few I hated to leave, maybe about five or six more small pieces. They urged me to add at least three more, and we settled on two. Wow. They even tweaked it so that with tax, it was an even twenny bucks.


I am soooo going back to that store. I won’t hold them to those kinds of deals again, but I’ll never forget how kind and sweet they were to me. I hugged Beloved, and the bag of beauty, most of the way home.



Regrettably, I have no idea what I’m going to do with most of this haul. But it was worth far more than I paid just to unpack it all on the bed and roll around on it, hoping all that astounding splendor would transfer to me somehow. (happy sigh)

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome sounding fabric store! I wish there was a place like that around here...!

    ReplyDelete