Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sofa-rest isn't *too* bad...


Current Mood : Increasingly hopeful...


If there's one thing that really ranks about being on sofa-rest with endless Netflix, it's that sitting there reminds me of all the stuff I could be doing. I stock up in the morning with books, old magazines, and projects, but invariably get bored anyway. Dearest Son was so sweet - I found the old 'beige brick' first-generation Game Boy ($1. yard sale find about three years ago) and figured I'd get some batteries for it, since playing Tetris is still better than just sittin'. Went to get said batteries (I'd stored it empty, since it's rarely used) and we were out. Oh, well. I moved it to get to a book, and noticed it was heavy. Dearest had installed the AAs he'd found for me ! Isn't he sweet ?


He and Oliver-kitten are adjusting. It helps when days like today are so glorious, the air conditioning is off and the doors are open all day long. There was so much activity outside that I haven't seen all summer - basketball games and bikes in the street, dog walks that went on for blocks, random fireworks, and yardwork before cookouts - it was a great day for it all ! Oliver's mostly outdoors these days, and Dearest is OK with it since he comes home to eat, just like DC-kitty. I'm still kind of stand-offish around Oliver, though.


Beloved Hubby is amazing. When our vows mentioned 'sickness and health', I know he wasn't anticipating this ! But he takes care of me without so much as a sigh. As a result, I'm so careful about the two new antibiotic meds, I'm keeping a log of when each get taken - if I take them too close together, I end up hovering the bathroom sink, contemplating my previous meal. And my left leg looks almost normal already ! Of course, it's not the horribly affected one, but any improvement is a celebration in my book !


One thing I can do is some hand-sewing. I hate hand-sewing, because I just plain rank at it. But it's like any skill, do it enough and you get better, and eventually you get good. So I may as well use my down time and get stuff done. Starting with some fun stuff.  The LiveJournal reporters noted that there's now a Monster High trunk (for doll clothes and such) and a showcase, with six backdrops to display up to three dolls with. Ya'll may remember I had enough doll clothes and props to merit a special box for them back in October last year, but I had to go for what was out there, and got a colorful skull storage box (that's so full, I've already had to relocate the stands and brushes). I'd like to have a look at the licensed stuff, but when I can get a much bigger box for $7., and the pretty themed one is $15., well...I can make my cash go pretty far when I'm not payin' for trademarks !


Anyway...I got my big ole skull box and went through it once more. You know how, when something's new, you hold on to everything, 'cause you don't have much yet ? Yeah, I had several things I'd made last year that were just plain awful, but I kept 'em 'cause I didn't have anything else. Well, the box is overflowing again, time to thin it out already ! Even salvaged some fabric and a couple strips of soft Velcro (tm), which sounds unbearably cheap, but was more to fill up time than save money.


I also took the red 'lighting bolt' decoration off the silver vest that came with Frankie's outfit in the 'Day at the Maul' set. Turns out, it works as a doll's ring, it's just a bit loose. So I also redid the 'jewelry/belt/hair accessory' box, and that's easier to access. Yaaay !


I have a whole Whitman's Sampler box of Barbie clothes I've put aside for eventual adaptation to MH-size, but some were floating around loose. Relegated three Bratz clothes pieces to donations - I don't know why I was deluding myself that those fit. Found a pink faux-wrap blouse and decided to improve the fit on it by moving the back Velcro, and got to work. Not sure if it's Barbie or Olsen Twins wear, but either way, in about 45 minutes, it fit Ghoulia much better ! Paired with the lavender LIV glasses kindly provided by Smidge-chan and the ruffled pink skirt from the 'Maul' clothes package, it looks pretty good on 'Dead Tired' Ghoulia !


So expect to see more hand-sewn repairs and tailoring ! As usual, the stitching on Ghoulia's blouse is awful, but I've only just started - I have at least a week on ye olde sofa to go !


No comments:

Post a Comment