Saturday, July 14, 2012

I had to do it. Pinkie Pie really is like a baby yak with ADD...


Current Mood : Dizzy, going to bed. G'night !



What a nice day today was ! Beloved Hubby was home today – his clients called to cancel – so we slept in, had a nice breakfast, and went out for a bit. We were hoping to score a few more pool floaties, but no luck. So we got snacks instead, and gosh, did those taste good after two hours of splashing, swimming, aqua-exercise, and floating. I’m just glad we remembered the sunscreen, or I would have been burned bad. My nose is still a bit snug-feeling regardless.


The new doll reveal from SDCC is ‘Caterine DeMew’, a pretty white catgirl with cotton-candy lavender hair sporting a pink streak. Much as I’m not really that interested in more MH cats – I’ve yet to really want any of the kitties out already -  this one is just lovely. I had to look up images of Catherine Deneuve, since I knew this new doll was designed to resemble her, and I couldn’t quite remember much about the French actress beyond her blonde curls and flawless skin and huge eyes. They did a great job ! She’s a Wal-Mart exclusive, like Cupid…but it was funny that I saw a Cupid at TRU a few days ago.  


To be honest, like a lot of other adult MH fans, I’m concerned about all these exclusives. So far, this year alone, there’s several at TRU, a couple at Mal-Wart and Target, and more expected in time for the holiday frenzy at Costco, Kohl’s, JC Penney's, and I’ve even heard a rumor of one for Sam’s Club. Luckily I’m not a completest, and most of these are simply extensions of what’s already out there – like the TRU-exclusive Ghoulia doll that comes with the widely available scooter – but if any of these are a must-have, or Heaven forbid, all of them are, that’s a lot of chasing around. And if the distribution patterns continue to be as scattered and random as what we’ve already seen…yikes. Add to that entry fees (Costco and Sam’s Club) or few outlets (there are no K-Marts here for three hours in any direction), and you end up feeding the scalpers instead of pleasing the fans. It’s that kind of thing that can scuttle a brand, no matter how successful it is.


Oh and I forgot to tell you. We forgot to get me a birthday cake earlier this month, but it was no big deal. I figured I’d just order a dozen of the new Monster High cupcakes, with the character rings on ‘em, sometime later. Too bad none of the bakeries around here have them. Oh, well. I ordered the ring-thingies off a seller on Amazon.com, and I got a dozen coming for less than five bucks, shipping and all. And I can put them on any cake, cupcake, brownies, or even baked potatoes if I want ! I would have just gotten six, since there’s only six designs, but I knew I’d want to share with Dearest Son. And have my own set !


Whoo. Just got a bit dizzy there. I think it’s bedtime for me ! Hope your Saturday was swell !


1 comment:

  1. Abbey and Pinkie Pie! Love it!

    I'm not as concerned about the exclusives as I was at first. Cupid was an exclusive, but I'm assuming that her ridiculous popularity/scalping is what brought about her 2.0 doll that you can now find by the case almost anywhere. (The hairstyle on these new dolls is.. not as carefully done.) I'm feeling like any of the exclusives that sell/scalp *insanely* well, we'll probably see a new, general release of.

    Heck, Mattel would be stupid IMO not to have "exclusive to your store for a period of (fill in the blank), after which time we reserve the right to sell it everywhere we can think of by the truckload" in their exclusive doll contracts. I mean, what are the retailers going to do? NOT pay extra to have something first and drive traffic to their stores?

    ReplyDelete