Thursday, March 29, 2018

I'm back again. Again !

My new pattern, on My Size Elsa. You'll meet her soon !

So. After, what, nearly a year and a half ? I’m gonna try this again. My various medical maladies have been stable for a year, I’m no longer in and out of the VA hospital so many times, they’re considering named a revolving door after me. I’m hoping to continue my health where it is or better – I’m walking, I’m more active, and I’m slowly finding myself again.


Bluntly, 2016 and 2017 were the worst years of my life, I hope. I’ve survived rejection, surgery, extreme insomnia, abandonment, death, severe prescription drug interactions, understanding painkiller addictions, tears, repeated lies, destruction of self-esteem, minor self-destruction, personal crises, three weeks of nightmares, oxygen starvation, rehab, and ongoing therapy. I’ve learned a lot, and there was joy and learning in between the misery, but I’ll be (expletive deleted) happy if I NEVER have to live anything like that again.


Don’t mean to be a downer, but you deserve to know the truth, even if I gloss over some of it, since you’re still reading this. I’ve contemplated restarting this for weeks, and I thank all of you who encouraged me on Facebook to do so.


After Life had me questioning everything, the truth remains, or returns. As I’ve said, I’m in group therapy, and thanks to the support of that group and a great therapist, I’m doing pretty well. I’m not where I was when I first introduced myself late last year, so I’m calling it an ongoing win. I’m learning about myself, and while it may be hard to believe that someone who wrote a blog for over ten years still had much to learn about herself, well, there it is. There are things and feelings we hide from even our truest self, much less the ones who love us, and I’m having to face them. I’m taking a ‘be aware, then take the best and leave the rest’ approach – may not work for everyone, but so far, so good !


Never fear, though – I still love dolls and sewing, even though they took a serious bashing in the Barrel of Awfulness, too. I haven’t sewn in weeks, and when I did, it was super-simple, but I designed it, and created the pattern for it, using the doll's box. And I’m proud of it. I’ve spent most of my life seeking approval and self-esteem in others’ eyes, I’m creakily learning to generate it from myself, for myself. Then, how to share it without being overbearing or expecting anything at all in return.


I feel stable for the first time in months, stable enough to do this. Please come with me if you like ! I’ll do my best to be here every day. Thanks always for sharing your day with me.

8 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Dorrie, you have been such a great inspiration to me! I've read your blogs back to day one and have learned to love CJ and Steve too. I was devastated when you were so ill. My heart is overflowing to have your blog to turn to again. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear you are doing well and that you're back! I've been a long time lurker and usually pour over your posts once in a while, your posts are always witty and charming and put a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see you back, but I'm so sorry you've had so much to deal with. I have thought about you from time to time), and had hoped you were doing okay. Hopefully things will keep getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DORRIE! I've been thinking about you and wondering how you guys were. I'm so sorry that you've had such an awful time. I hope that it's smooth sailing from here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, ya'll. You're why I wanted to come back. Thanks for being here for me and with me !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi DorrieBelle, I'm glad to hear from you :)
    Sorry you've been through so much and hope you've turned the corner for good.You deserve health and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back DorrieBelle! It's so good to hear from you. I'm glad that you've reached a point where you can blog again. I've missed your posts. Best wishes for continued health and happiness.
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm late to the party but welcome back. I'm glad you're learning about yourself and giant thumbs up you're still here and standing. We all need time for the grownup parts every now and again.

    ReplyDelete