Friday, March 30, 2018

The True History of My Size (Ms.) Elsa


When I told Beloved a huge box showed up, he wanted a photo. He got one !
Hard to believe the third month of this year is nearly over already. Time is speeding up the older I manage to get !



Nice Friday here at Chez Insanity – sunny and 70°, although storms are due tomorrow and all weekend. Don’t care. Already done the banking and got enough fun food for the weekend, if we don’t venture out, it’s fine with me.


I did a lot of prowling this week already. Goodwill yielded another ‘Royal Reflection Eyes’ Elsa doll, barefoot, dreadlocked, and wearing a Cinderella doll’s dress. I’ll have to get a count of all the Elsas and Annas, there has to be nearly a dozen of both toddler and fashion versions. Either I’m still attracting them, or a lot of ‘em are showing up in the usual second-hand venues. I’m getting better at straightening out doll hair.


Speaking of Elsas, I wanted to tell you a bit about the one in yesterday’s photo. I discovered that Beloved Hubby was telling ummm. . . ‘someone else’ that he hates my dolls, and this person sympathized. When the dust settled, I’d donated three boxes of ‘em – nothing I truly treasured, but it kind of hurt when he supported my hobby to my face, yet told this other that they all gave him the creeps. I said later that the only one I regretted giving up was the ‘My Size’ Anna I’d found at a GWill for $10. – while we didn’t have space for her, her rictus smile even creeped me out, and she wasn’t my favorite Frozen character (I’m sure you know who is !), I had been looking forward to sewing for that size again.


As our 20th Anniversary drew closer, he requested I avoid Amazon for a bit. And the day before, a huge box  showed up on the porch. Yes, he’d bought me a ‘My Size’ Elsa, to cement our new understanding and faith. He apologized about the whole ‘doll thing’, and said he’d mostly said it because he had precious little else to complain about to other person. He didn’t hate my dolls, understood why they were important to me, and wanted to see me happy with them – and him – again. It sounds strange, I know, but I fell in love with him all over again. Even my therapist was impressed.


I’m still finding my way, slowly. The one thing I wanted to sew for Ms. Elsa was a robe – even though she has a painted-on blue bodysuit, I wanted her to have one for wardrobe fittings – but no pattern existed for one in that size. Infant ones were not right, kid ones would be huge, and not even the numerous ‘kitchen table’ pattern peeps designed one for sale. So I researched several free online ones in unisex sizes and calculated the scale with Elsa’s measurements, then fashioned the pattern using her huge box and one of Beloved’s worn tape measures. Sewed it from a lightweight (read : thin) fleece lap blanket from Mal-Wart ($2.50, and I still have a third of it left), and there ya go. Adjust the sleeves, and I could easily use the same pattern for a kimono. I’m pretty happy with it !


Dearest Son and I hit the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore – but I’ll have to tell you about that tomorrow, today’s entry is almost a book ! 

1 comment:

  1. I’m glad you and hubby are back on good ground again.

    I’m always so impressed with your ability to draft patterns! I bet Elsa’s glad to have a nice robe, too!

    ReplyDelete