Saturday, June 2, 2018

As caught up as I can be !

Hope nobody worried - just took ill and exhausted. Mostly my over-active stomach, but it does take a lot out of me. No hospital stay, Thank Everything. Didn't get much done, and all I could do yesterday was cheap-serge the bundle of fabrics I thrifted a couple weeks ago. 



Felt better for the first time in a while, so after rounding up coupon-discounted Croissanwich breakfasts for us all, I decided to hit a thrift. Not much this time, but I found a lovely sweater-like Oshkosh shawl that’ll look great on Ms. Elsa after a good wash, and a floral purse that sang to me. It’s nice and big, with lots of pockets. Last one was just too small.


Helped sort earrings again – not sure why I do, they don’t even give me a discount for them, much less pay me ! – but I get ‘first pick’ of the ones I  pair up, so there’s that. Got two oh-so-80s pair, one very similar to a favorite set from my delightfully misspent youth. If I hadn’t stepped on one and broken it, I would have worn them out. The other pair is just plain huge and tacky, right down to the sparkly faux gemstone, but I liked them, so they were mine.


Since most of that jewelry basket was broken bits and singles, I asked her to sell me two that had no match as a set, and the nice employee agreed. So I also got a tiny coral-colored cameo (the back on it is bent) and a glittery single star. I intend to wear the star with a silver moon I already have. The cameo, of course, will become doll jewelry.


I was thinking of touring the local thrift next, but the ‘Flea Market TODAY !’ signs caught me, so I quickly changed direction. $5. there got me a book on SuperCars with specs for Dearest Son, a pair of brand-new White Stag black flats (had to remove sticks and tissue to try them on !), a Best Buy-dressed Malibu Barbie, and a dressed Kenner Dusty, complete with shoes and tennis racket. I confess, I never liked Dusty, my childhood friend Lisa P. had one, and despite all ads to the contrary, never thought of her as “America’s Most Beautiful Doll’. She was kind of gimmicky, a product of her time, and was an odd attempt to bridge ‘fashion doll’ and ‘sports doll’, although most girls really into sports tended to avoid dolls altogether, at least where I was from. At least Dusty’s hair never got tangled in her active lifestyle !


Dusty’s main attraction was that I’d always heard that ever-frugal Kenner used her body for their 1978 Princess Leia, minus the elbow and wrist joints, and pull-back swing that enabled Dusty to play oddly rigged sports. This is why Leia’s torso spins so loosely. Like her sisters, this Dusty has meld marks between her hip and crotch, something I’ve never seen on a Leia – and I’ve seen LOTS of Leias ! I doubt mine is sporting authentic Dusty wear (Velcro, for one, since in the mid to late 70s, even Mattel still used snaps on everything), but it fits well. The shoes are definitely hers, so my Leia probably just got a new pair of green-and-white sneakers ! Yes, you can expect a comparison soon.


And I can never resist a Malibu Barbie !

No comments:

Post a Comment