Sunday, November 13, 2011

Ghoulia's Big Bad Booty Shorts


Current Mood : Happy

If you bought the three-sized Simplicity pattern I highlighted a few days ago, #1955, and you haven't cut it out yet, lemme save you a bit of time. All the 'M' size pieces (for Barbie and LIV dolls) were on one sheet. Just the M pieces, nothing else. The 'S' (Bratz) and L (Moxie Girls) were together on the other, and even then, all the S ones were on one side of the tissue, and all the Ls were on the other. So, if you want just the M pieces (or wanna try the M patterns first), you won't have a huge mess unfolding around you (ha-ha) - just unfold one pattern sheet enough to tell what size they are, and be happy knowing it's all there together for ya, you don't have to unfold the whole thing, or worse, re-fold it, 'cause you got the S and L page. Of course, if you're like DIsarmywife, and you sew for more than one size, it'll at least allow you to keep things together as you enjoy it all !


Mostly today, though, I wanna talk about Ghoulia's bad booty shorts. They really don't fit ! And the image doesn't deceive you, the left leg (on Ghoulia) is noticeably longer. I even made sure they weren't just hanging wrong, and that the curve was clipped. Even the hems were the same. One leg was simply cut from the fabric longer, so of course, it sews out that way.


And the waistband...there's no elastic in it at all ! When I finally got G untangled from the box, the shorts were down to the bottom of her butt. I laughed, because sometimes Barbie's would drop the same way when you seated her, especially with loose or worn elastic at the waist or tired stretch fabrics. A simple tug up would correct the wardrobe malfunction. Not this time. There's flat-out nothing to keep them up at the waist, so they sag and moon the world. I could take them apart and add Velcro (tm) to the back, but it won't fix the uneven legs. So I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. First wardrobe fail I've run across on this line, can't help but be a bit disappointed.


Especially when the little tote bag even has tiny webbing 'water bottle' holders on the sides - amazingly sewn perfectly. Beloved Hubby joked that, if anyone wanted to create a Teen Monster Mom  episode, the tote would make a great diaper bag !


The single pair of pom-poms were also a bit disappointing, as the dolls can only hold them if you keep them on the plastic disc they come on. I was thinking they'd have elastic wrist loops or something, and the plastic part was just for box display, but nope. Off the plastic backing, they're just strips of shiny tin foil stapled together. At least I moved the clear elastic holding them to lower layers of shiny foil, where they're not so obviously seen. I'll probably make three or four sets soon, maybe out of yarn.


But really, even with these few bobbles, I really like my set. Ghoulia's jacket is adorable, but I had to iron down the hem on her blouse, the raw edge of the neckline kept popping up. Can't wait for the Comic Club outfit to come my way ! Cleo has 'Gloom Beach' hands, which look great on her, so I'll probably move my GB Cleo to the donate/trade/sell part of the shelf. Never liked the odd GB lip colors, although they were more monsterish than the usual shades of red.


DracuLaura has the usual MH  'starfish' hands, but her hair is just gorgeous ! I'll probably remove the sleeves from her Fearleader costume, though. While I know most cheerleaders on a team in the 'normie' world don't wear the exact same uniform, and Beloved's hypothesis that DLaura can't be exposed to the sun, hence sleeves and hosiery, makes sense, I still want them to look...well, uniform.

1 comment:

  1. Ok first off I have to say how surprised to see my name mentioned on someone else blog! =D Thank you I'm blushing over here! I am hoping to get out tomorrow to pick up my copy of the 1955 pattern, it's great to know that the Barbie scale patterns are on a single page!
    I am definitely getting the fearleading set. (although I already have a Cleo, so I wish Frankie was in the set instead, but hey I'm cool with a 2nd Cleo!) This Ghoulia is my favorite of all of them. Such a shame about the funky shorts and the weird pom poms. I'll be making 'real' pom poms too!

    ReplyDelete