Saturday, October 6, 2012

Fine Dining with Dorriebelle...


Current Mood : My head hurts...



Took a peek at the Hobby Lobby ad, even though we’re not going anytime soon – we’re sooo broke right now ! – although I may return those acrylic ice cubes yet, I still haven’t made up my mind. Anyway, I saw our new dining area table pictured right in the middle, so I clipped it to show off a bit. That’s our exact set ! Truth be told, we’re not seated at the table long enough to need seat cushions, but I still plan to make some. When Beloved Hubby claims it to study, he just fetches in an old pillow from the closet to sit on.


I’ve had an off-and-on headache all day, but I really wanted to sew. I had at least 20 projects to work on, though. The forgotten Halloween one, the black mermaid tulle ruffle on that Barbie dress I altered for Clawdeen, that simple skirt I’ve been meaning to try, sewing another Qi Pao, maybe as a tunic, giving that cute halter top in that other pattern set a go, figuring out how to sew for the Midnight Magic dolls, on and on.


I couldn’t decide which one to go with, so I did prep measuring work on the Clawdeen dress and decided to make the halter top from the Kristine Ann dresses/skirts pattern set, paired with the simple skirt from the NG Creations set. Since I still had that thin burgundy on the cutting board, it was an easy choice for fabric.


I sewed the skirt first, because I wanted to try a curved hem. Normally I avoid those, either facing them with lace, or cutting a lining piece and turning it inside out, putting the hem stitching inside. I’d seen how you’re supposed to gather the hem, sort of ease it under, but I had no idea how. I’d tried earlier to sew along the ¼” seam allowance, snip right to the line, fold and sew it down, but I ended up with sharp little points along the supposed-to-be-curved edge. So I gathered and eased, and I still have no idea what I’m doing, but I only had one sharp little point, so I guess I did it right. I even picked that out and resewed it.


The halter bodice – it wasn’t really designed to be a shirt by itself, but I did it that way anyway – went together great. I noticed that one of the side seam allowances was a bit under ¼”, so I redrew it before I cut it out. It’s fully lined, but the straps are wide enough to turn right side out fairly well and easily. Fit’s good, but a bit snug. I may add a quick 1/8” to both sides and about the same to the bottom hem, so I can have the original pattern as a bit belly-baring and my slight alterations making it just down far enough to wear with a skirt. In the photo I’ll post tomorrow, the skirt overlaps the shirt by maybe an eighth of an inch. You know me, I like to keep things modest, but also keep my options open !


BTW, if you’re in the mood to see some slam-fantastic MH clothes that are available for purchase, check out my friend Tabitha’s Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonsight68. She not only is an amazing sewist, she’s running a great sale. Tell her I said ‘hi’ when you buy everything in her store ! I have several of her works, and they are well-made and long on fun. And she’s a huge MH fan, she’s not doin’ this for the money. She has dolls I’ve never seen, and it’s clear she adores each one.


Well, the headache’s starting to crest, I’m gonna go lie down. Hope your day was well-decided and well-ended ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment